Star Comics 80's Gold


Image copyright Marvel/Disney.

I am not sure what my first comic book was for sure. I know it was either a Superman, Batman, or Star Comic title though. The first two you probably already head but the third you might not be familiar with. Star Comics were an imprint of Marvel. They were popular in the 1980s. The imprint was focused on kids. Most of the comics produced were based on popular kids cartoon shows. They even had a number of original books.

The imprint started in 1984 and lasted until 1988. Some of the comics would outlive the Star imprint and their later issues they would be Marvel comics instead. One of the more popular examples of this is the Silverhawks. Four titles were planned but never released. These titles were Commander USA, Christy, Little Wizards, and Young Astronauts.

I was born when these first came out and was only four when they stopped. I do have memories of getting them when I was a kid. When I was that age though I did not have comic store in town so I was rare that I got a chance to get any. At that age Care Bears and Ewoks were the ones I liked to get. My older sister would get the Strawberry Shortcake comics.

Fortunately I could occasionally find them as I grew older at garage sales, Goodwill, or even at comic stores. I used to find them in the .25 boxes. I expect many comic fans have traditions when going into a comic shop. For me it is looking through the back issues. I always look for three things first. I look for Superman, Star Wars, and any Star comic titles. It is getting harder to find Star titles in the back issues but occasionally Ewoks or Droids issues can be found in with Star Wars.

Fortunately you can now find them easily online. The Muppet Babies was even released in Omnibus form recently. The value of the comics vary. The more popular franchises like Masters of The Universe go for much more then the less popular titles like Madballs. Typically the Star original content like Royal Roy (think Richie Rich with a title), and my favorite Wally the Wizard do not cost as much. Spider-Ham is about the most expensive Marvel original titles thanks to his connection to Spider-Man.

Speaking of Spider-Ham while most of these comics were geared towards kids including Spider-Ham  you could find some adult humor in some of the Spider-Ham titles as well. The humor would go over kids head so it was ok.

If you love the 80s you will love these comics. The ads are even great to look at now. You may find that a franchise you liked had a Star comic. Even if you didn't grow up on the comics if you grew up on the properties they covered you should check them out.

Did you ever have any Star comics? What were your favorite? What ones would you like to get now? What titles do you which they would have made? Let us know below.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Latest Upcoming Star Wars Films Announced

Biggest Kids Events of the 90s Calling All Toons

Disney and the Nazis: The Unauthorized Book Disney Doesn't Want You to Read: Disney in WWI